When Working on Slync App…

This is an entry from my personal journal that reveals a typical week working on Slync app.

Today is the day Apple approved Slync 1.0 which is more like 1.2.1.7. The app was rejected 2 times before it finally got approved.

First time was dues to Facebook login not working. Although the problem was with Parse, I had to rethink the whole “Facebook only” login. So that week I spent implementing registration by email. It was a safety net just in case Facebook login doesn’t work again I would remove it all together. Implementing “email registration” led me to adding a feature that would allow people explore Slync before they register. So as you can see, the first rejection served us really well… definitely beneficial for our customers.

I also added search, properly implemented search I might add. The first way would download 100 closest items and then search in those for what the user was interested in. The new search had the server do the query for closest items + the keyword only and then download images relevant to the search.

Second rejection was due to missing Terms of Service and Privacy Policy on the Register / Log In screen as well as the absence of being able to mark content inappropriate / misleading by regular users. Apple wanted us to have a way of moderating the content and ban users violating Terms of Use.

Implementing ToU and Privacy Policy was a bit tricky. I created a “dummy” version that would simply create and entry in the separate database with the ID of the reported object, ID of the reported users and some other info. I quickly submitted it to Apple. The idea was to let this get approved and submit a new update that will have a much better way of handling inappropriate content. There was a problem with this approach. When the content was reported, the entry was added to the database and had to be manually searched against all published items. Pain in the butt. So I had to search for a better way from the start… I needed to make sure anyone I trust could easily moderate content, not just me sitting at my computer sorting through all status updates, hunting down the reported post. This led me to make some changes to the way status was published. In particular, I had to create a Role (Administrator) and give that role all access to all posts. I also had to find a way to “ban” the user remotely without them logging out and in to check for “user status”. Interesting stuff. The problem with all that was – I already submitted to the app to Apple with a “quick fix”. So I had to delete that version and resubmit from start which meant another week of delays.

After the app got submitted for the 3rd time, I took on creating a new app called SlyncMOD with a single purpose in mind… moderation. Anyone who had that app installed was able to remove reported content immediately and report users to be banned (which is done by me) since Parse didn’t allow “users” to edit “user” status.

All in all, the rejection made our app 10 times better.

When Working on Slync App…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *